September 9, 2015
Looking at biker patches is an effective way of identifying the affiliation of a rider or group of riders. These clothing accessories are usually attached onto the back of the vest worn by bikers. Aside from functioning as the representation or emblem of the club in which a biker belongs, a biker patch is also used to symbolize the personality of the wearer. The color and overall design of the patches play a significant role.
When it comes to the design of this type of patches, there are no specific rules to follow. However, the number of pieces of patches that can be seen on the vest of the wearer symbolizes the kind of connections he has. For instance, a one-piece patch indicates that the wearer is a member of motorcycle associations. On the other hand, a two-piece patch indicates that the wearer belongs in a certain biker’s club. In addition, the three-piece design of patches is associated with outlaw motorcycle clubs. An outlaw motorcycle club is a biker group, which is not recognized officially by the American motorcycle association.
The three-piece design of biker patches typically includes crescent shapes, below and above the logo of the club. These crescent shapes are commonly called as rockers. However, you should understand that not every biker who wears a three-piece patch belongs to a particular motorcycle outlaw club.
According to the stated rule of the American Motorcycle Association, 1% of patches is used by outlaw riders. On the other hand, 99% of biker patches is worn by law-abiding American bikers. This statement is based on the common notion that bikers who belong in motorcycle outlaw clubs are criminals.
The most popular items used by bikers are the #13 patches. This type of patches stands for the thirteenth letter of the alphabet, which is the letter M. The letter M can stand for various things, such as marijuana. This means that the biker either sells or takes drugs.
The 9 or 9er biker patches signifies that the wearer has Indian blood. The 9th letter of the alphabet is the letter “I”, so, it should be easy to identify this symbol. In addition, the Ace of Spades symbolizes that the rider will fight for his right even if it means losing his life. Also, a patch that shows a flag usually refers to the origin country of the bike or to family lineage.
MCC or MC refers to motorcycle club and the leader of the club uses the President patch. These days, you can also find memorial patches in the market. This type of patches contains writing like “in memory of”. This can be attached onto any part of the vest or onto any clothing item worn by the biker.
Patches that have wings can hold various significance, but oftentimes the design refers to the accomplishments done by the biker. However, there are some cases that these wings are used to symbolize the sexual or criminal acts made by the wearer. In addition, bikers who were able to cheat death or kill someone typically wear patches with a crossbones or skull design.
Other biker patches imply the biker’s position in the club such as Sergeant at Arms, Secretary or Vice Presidents. Some patches are also designed with road names or any other stuff.
Many bikers use patches today to represent their club or even their personality. The designs of such patches hold a great deal of meaning and significance. So, the next time you happen to see those, you already know that they are more than mere aesthetic enhancers – they’re essentially a language that only a few truly understand.